Subject: Food company fined after worker is burnt by hot oil
A food company that manufactures frozen potato products have been fined after an employee suffered an accident at work.
The 62 year old man suffered 10 percent burns to his shoulder, upper arms, neck and back while he was overseeing the jet washing of a large oil storage tank at work.
The work place accident claim occurred when he had climbed the guard rails to check how the work was progressing, as he did so he slipped, knocking a pipe which released 160 degree oil on to his upper body.
As a result, the man was unable to work for several months after leaving the company.
Investigations later found that the company had failed to carry out a risk assessment on the cleaning operation, because of this they were fined £16,500 and ordered to pay £571 in costs.